Friday, August 31, 2012

A Stranger's Kindness


                I had a minor panic episode this morning while walking to a doctor’s appointment.  I was crossing an intersection when a car drove by, the driver yelling something at me.  I jumped in fear; my heart constricted and my lungs contracted as a wave of dizziness washed over me.  My body froze as I stood on the sidewalk waiting to return to a state of equilibrium. 
A crossing-guard noticed my reaction and asked if I was okay.  Without much forethought or conscious effort, I found myself telling this concerned stranger all about my accident and my fear.   Two years ago, I was hit by an elderly driver while walking across the street.  I was on the crosswalk with two other pedestrians – the driver drove up onto the median and hit all of us.  I was the first person to get hit – my head went through the windshield, leaving me with a mild traumatic brain injury and a laceration above my right eye that required 100+ stitches and missed slicing my eye by less than a millimeter.  The crossing-guard was sympathetic – she listened to the babbling of a stranger with patience, her face a mirror of empathy. 
I explained to the kind woman that my life at the moment is about balancing my fears – I panic at the sight of on-coming cars, which leaves me with the option of either panicking while driving or panicking while walking.  A few months ago, when I was trying to drive again, I was almost hit by another driver.  I came very close to blacking out from the incident, which has left me with a deep-seated fear of causing a car accident from my anxieties.  At this point in time, I choose to face my fears while walking.  At the very least, I can stand on the sidewalk until my fear subsides. 
In return, the woman told me about her fear of driving – she was rear-ended last year.  Now whenever she sees a car behind her, she is anxious that she will get hit from behind again.  I told her I was sorry to hear about her accident and we commiserated about Houston traffic.  She told me I was strong, which brought me to the point of tears – I do not feel like a strong woman.  We talked for another ten minutes, about life and marriage and family, before I had to leave to make my doctor’s appointment.  I thanked her and said good-bye. 
I wish I had given her a hug.  Or told her just how much her sympathy meant to me.  

3 comments:

  1. I so sooooooo glad that you found a kindred spirit, just when you needed it most!

    I have had a few flashbacks lately. I have to admit that I have been kind of relieved that the doctor says I still should be staying home, even though I won't have to have another surgery. Starting to do physical therapy will get me out some, but I have to make sure I am kind to my body.

    I want you to know that knowing what you went through, and how strong you are, gives me the strength to keep going when I am crying with frustration because the pain isn't responding to the meds. I tell myself, if PMG can make it through all she did, I can survive a little pain, cabin fever and frustration. I know I am not the only one who is inspired by your example and strength!

    Sending you good thoughts and cyber chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! And just make sure to be patient - these things take time. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! Accidents are unpredictable incidents that often finish up in injuring or more individuals who are present at the site. With increased modes of transport, road accidents have increased to a substantial level. Auto accidents are the incidents that involve collisions between vehicles. They can have repercussions as hazardous as death of a person on the mishap site. personal injury lawyer mesa az is also a stranger for you but is more than willing to help you out more than a friend or a family.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing comments and I welcome all viewpoints; however, I request that if you do choose to comment, please do so in a manner that is constructive and respectful of others.